Nowadays, technology is developing more and more, we can use technology as effective teaching aids. However, we should not depend on it so much. Let’s image how you will teach English without any teaching aids or modern equipments. What will you do if you have only a chalkboard? In facts, teacher and chalkboard are also considered as useful teaching aids. In my opinion, teacher is a wonderful teaching aids that is multi-functional than the others. Teacher can involve their Ss in classroom by using body language, movement, eye contact, gesture. Teacher seen as teaching aids in some following ways:
- A real object: When teacher teaches vocabulary about the topic “body”, they can use their body to illustrate for their students. Students will study faster and better when they see the real objects. For example when teaching vocabulary about part of body. They can point to their legs, shoulders, eyes, nose…
- A model: Teacher always does first as an example and then students will do follow. It’s really a best way for teacher to give instructions.
- A composer: To attract students to the lesson, sometimes, teacher can design a new song or chant to teach to them. It’s also a good way to make student to remember new words from song and chant.
- An artist: Teacher can draw pictures on the board to help student understand and imagine easily. They can draw the face on the board and use arrow to illustrate some part of “the face”.
- A singer: Let’s imagine that you must teach your students a new song but you have no electricity, no audio and no video. Of course, you must be a singer in this situation.
- A story – teller: Teacher use pictures, objects to illustrate when telling story. Students can develop the ability to remember new words and image what will happen through the story.
- A role – player: Sometimes, the teacher also join some activities with students, they can play and act as a character in the story of drama. For examples, he or she can play as a bear, a monkey…
- A dancer: dancing is the most interesting activity in the classroom. Teacher will do the first and students do follow. For example , when teaching a song, teacher can dance with song. Students always love teacher who can dance and sing.
- An instructor: Teacher gives students knowledge and requests students what they should do and how to do the task and student will follow step by step
- A manager: The teacher must manage the whole class in some activities (when they play a game, sing a song, work in group).
- An observer: Teacher also observes the class to ensure students focus on the lesson.
- Teacher as a friend: To have a successful lesson, teacher needs to be friendly with her or his students. This connection will make a convenient environment for Ss to get the knowledge.
- A critic: Teacher gives feedback, comments and complaints to students.
- A dictionary: When students meet the new words, they can ask teacher about the meaning of these words.
- A MC: Teacher should make interesting lesson by organizing game shows. Teacher will control the game show in natural way from the beginning to the end. They have to be enthusiastic, dynamic and humor to attract students.
Along with teacher, chart board also plays an important role in teaching.
- Chalkboard is the place to help teacher write down the content, main points of the lesson as well as the question, tasks and homework.
- Chalkboard is considered as screen that students can see pictures and play games such as guessing words, slap the board, hang man…
- Chalkboard is a tool to decorate in the special day such as The Teacher’s Day, the Woman’s Day.
- Chalkboard is a special stage in English class where student can perform or act as characters in stories, plays…Teachers can use the space surrounding chalkboard to organize small activities such as play game, sing a song.
- Chalkboard is a wall where teacher and students can hang poster, pictures, draw diagram, map on to exhibit or show to other students. Sometimes, teacher can stick flashcard, objects, pictures and hand- made products.
- Chalkboard is a note paper where teacher can summarize the key points of a lesson. It is easy for students to look at and remember main point in lesson they have learnt.
- Chalkboard is a colorful picture. Teacher can use color chalk to write. T can use various color chalk to draw on the chalkboard to develop the topic or draw arrow to show part of something.
In conclusion, teaching aids is the best tool to make the lesson more interesting and effective. Being a teacher, you can combine some teaching aids in your lesson. However, teacher and chalkboard are two important teaching aids need to use.