Using games is one of the good ways to attract children in teaching English. Games mean the world to children. Thanks to games, children are more interested in learning English. It also motivates students to master English fast and easy.
Why should we use games in the classroom?
Well-chosen games are extremely useful because they help students to relax and allow students to practice language skills. Games are highly motivating since they are amusing and at the same time challenging. Moreover, the games deliver meaningful and useful language in real contexts. They also encourage and increase cooperation among students.
When to use games?
A game should keep all of the students involved and interested.
A game should encourage students to focus on the use of language rather than on the language itself.
A game should give students a chance to learn, practice, or review specific language material.
Which games are applicable?
Certain programs on TV or a video clip can be used by teachers to design suitable games for their students. More popular language games such as “Twenty Questions,” “The Whispering Game,” “Action” “Asking Yes/No Questions“ and “Slap the board” are applicable and appropriate in use.
Important things to consider when using games in the classroom
• Games should be regarded as supplementary activities. The whole syllabus should not be based on games only.
• When choosing a game, the teacher should be careful to find the game which is suitable for students.
• Give clear instructions and example (if necessary).
• The teacher should not force an individual to participate. Some learners may not want to participate due to personal reasons. Pushing students to participate usually does not have successful results.
• A game which looks wonderful on the paper may not work in the actual classroom setting. If it is tiring or boring, it should be stopped.
In conclusion, using games is an efficient way to teach English in the classroom. It can help you get the best results in the classroom .Games also teach Students how to share their ideas and work as a team.