No one of us can deny the use of chalkboard in education since it’s an effective tool in teaching. Since I was studying at primary school , I saw the chalkborad already, and sometimes I was punished to stand infront of the chalkboard because I made some mistakes. LOL, just kiddings . now let’s look at some advantages of the chalkboard.
1. Availability. Most areas assigned for instruction are equipped with chalkboards. Also, if
more board space is needed, portable boards of various types and styles are handy.
2. The chalkboard is inexpensive, especially when the usable life of the board is considered.
3. It is flexible in use in the sense that instructors may use it, learners may use it and changes
can be easily made through erasure.
4. Space. Lots of writing space is usually provided.
5. The chalkboard can be used to present more formally prepared lessons, or for informal,
6. Ideas can be dealt with at all levels from facts to concepts, from cognitive to affective
7. Various colored chalk or pens can be used to develop the topic, show parts or build
8. A point-b y-point outline of a presentation can be made on the spot with diagrams, charts, and
other accentuation drawn at the appropriate moment.
9. The visual communication of the chalkboard directs attention of the class to the purposes of
the lecture or discussion.
10. Ideas or topics suggested in discussion can be listed on the board, reorganized, deleted, added
to, and put in final form.
11. Test or discussion questions can be put on the board and covered up before the class
assembles, then revealed at the appropriate time. This can save on time and cost of
12. A number of learners can do practice or drill work on the board at one time, allowing the
instructor to give feedback immediately.
However when using chalkboard , you must pay attention to the following points:
How to use the blackboard properly.
1. Black or blue marker is the best color if you are using a whiteboard.
2. Write clearly on the board and write readable letters. Also, students at the back must clearly see what you have written.
3. Do not block the students every time you write. They must have a clear view of the board.
4. Do not turn back on the class for too long while writing. IT says that good teachers write on the board with “eyes on the back of their heads.”
5. Always check what you are writing. You must be careful of your spelling and grammar. Remember that you are an ESL teacher.
How to organize you board
Here are some examples that you can do on your board:
1. You can write new words if you are introducing new vocabulary.
2. You can write instructions so you will not repeat saying it.
3. You can write down the pages of the book that the students will read.
4. You can use it for brainstorming new ideas.
5. You can write down the lesson exercises and activities of your students.
6. You can use it for illustration, playing games, and for visuals which I will be discussing briefly in this section.
And when we talk about the work of teaching , we can not forget the teachers– one of the main characters in the process of teaching.
Teacher is also a powerful teaching aid.
Through the following facts teachers can help students learn the lesson better.
Use body language
The role of teacher is instructor, who direct students and show them the way to complete exercises. `
And the followings are the expectations of a good teacher.
When we speak of good teachers it means that a teacher must be a model of faith and piety and should have a fairly good knowledge . A teacher should consider it his duty to educate and train his students and should feel responsible for it. He should feel that his students have been entrusted to him and he should avoid any breach of the trust the society has reposed in him. He should be a sociable person with his roots in the society. People should take him as their well-wisher and a sincere friend who cares for their children. It should be ascertained at all cost that a candidate for this profession has a natural acumen and aptitude for teaching.
He should actively participate in the social activities in a positive way. He should know the art of teaching with a deep insight into child psychology. He should always deal with the students in a just manner. He should not lose his self-control on mistakes his students may commit, and instead he should respect their feelings and ego, and should try to understand and resolve their difficulties with grace while keeping his cool. He should be able to smile in the face of bitter criticism on his opinions, and should not feel ashamed or humiliated to accept his mistakes wholeheartedly.
He should be proud of his culture, his national dress and his national language.He should be a missionary, a mentor, a reformer and a guide besides being a dedicated tutor. In other words, he should be a perfect teacher and a perfect educationist. While highlighting the role of a teacher in the society, it is imperative to involve the role of parents, too, in the process of character building of the students. In the past, parents and teachers both used to make the best of their efforts to provide an atmosphere to their children congenial to the development of higher virtues and morals. But the gross social change over the last fifty years, large scale urbanization, ruthless competition for financial gains, and heavy preoccupation in everyday life deplete all time and energy from the parents, leaving behind little time or energy for them to monitor their children.
Whatever time they have at their disposal is consumed by newspapers, television and other recreations. As a result, the younger generation hardly gets any opportunity to share ideas with their elders or to enter into a meaningful discussion. On the other hand, this idea is gaining ground among us that education is not meant to build up better human beings, but only to get better jobs. Consequently, the students’ minds are obsessed with better jobs and dreams for higher social status.It is,therefore,duty of the parents, too, to take active interest in the day-to-day progress of their children both in and outside the institution and apprise them of the real meaning of education.