In this journal, you will know about a classical teaching technique – dictogloss briefly and some further ways to use this technique for a funny class.
What is dictogloss?
Dictogloss is a classic teaching technique where we are required to reconstruct a text by listening and noting down key words. Dictogloss combines four skills as listening skill, reading skill, writing skill and speaking to help students make their own text in learning foreign language.
How many step?
The teacher has to choose a suitable text that is short enough (about 360 words) and cohesive depends on the learners’ level.
- The teacher will read the text at normal speed and students just listen, they do not take note.
- The students individually write down as much of text as they can remember.
- The teacher read the text again. The students do not take note while the teacher is speaking. After teacher finished, the students make changes their previous text.
- The students make a small group of three or four and then compare their text together to get the text as close to the original text as possible.
- The teacher read the original text one last time.
- The students write their final text (write text on papers, poster, chalkboard or blackboard, etc)
- The teacher corrects the students’ text.
What is the purpose of dictogloss?
- To introduce key words and target lexical items at first,
- To improve students’ take note skill,
- To help students to focus on meaning when listening to spoken text,
- To develop listening skill and to provide relevant listening practice,
- To develop proof reading and editing skills,
- To provide a real opportunity for cooperative learning,
- To assist weaker learners and learners who require useful support with reading and writing activities.
For what age groups might the dictogloss technique be useful?
In my opinion, dictogloss is a classical technique that uses many skills. Especially take note skill and listening skill that are quite difficult for young learners, therefore the age of greater than five is appropriate for using this technique.
What text will be used?
Song. A song can be used in teaching speaking follow dictogloss technique. You should break out the lyrics and not give the learners full song unless it is upper level class. You do not need to speak; you just need to play the song chunk by chunk. Remember that always use your students’ favorite songs.
Story. We should remember to keep the story short. Make sure your students can be hearing clearly by reading in normal speed.
Audio. Again, keep the level of the student in mind. You can use audio from the movie, or recite it yourself. Be sure that your audio is out of noise and harsh accents.